From the shores of Lake Michigan…
To the wilderness trails of Ohio, the Midwest is known for its natural beauty. What you may not know, however, is that it is also home to a number of man-made wonders. From Michigan to Indiana, these architectural wonders are sure to amaze you.
Mackinac Bridge: Michigan
Open in 1957 this 26,372-foot bridge is the world’s 16th-longest bridge in the Western hemisphere. It spans the Straits of Mackinac to connect Michigan’s Upper and Lower Peninsula. Though the bridge was conceptualized and designed in the late 1880s it wasn’t completed until 1957 due to several decades of construction issues. Prior to it being built the only way to travel between the two Peninsulas was via ferry. As travel between the two Peninsulas became more popular the State Highway Department and the seated Governor determined it would be of value to construct a bridge linking the land.
The Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal: Ohio
The Cincinnati Union Terminal was built from 1929-1933. It was considered to be a significant development in the history of the city’s transportation system and was also one of the last great train stations built in the United States. It is a shining example of the Art Deco style that was popular during this time period. When it was built it was expected that there would be 17,000 passengers and 216 trains a day traveling through the station. The interior of the building includes intricate tile mosaics that represented 15 prominent local businesses, the largest half-dome in the western hemisphere, and a whispering fountain display that is said to be magical.
The West Baden Springs Hotel: Indiana
The West Baden Springs hotel has a rich and varied history. Built in the mid-1800s this hotel was designed to mimic the great mineral spas that were popular in Europe. The hotel was sophisticated for its time, with an opera house, casino, full-size baseball field and pony track on site. During the summer of 1901, a fire swept through the complex and destroyed it entirely. The owner rebuilt the complex to represent his ideal hotel and made it into something even more glamorous than the original. In 1916, he passed away and the hotel passed to his daughter. Through a series of financial mishaps and loss, the property changed hands and was even a Jesuit seminary at one point in time. In recent years, the property has been restored to its former glory and has won a number of prestigious awards for hospitality and design.